Monday, December 08, 2008

If you are really there God, why don't you prove it?

Recently, as a church, we have put on a series of events under the title "If you could ask God one question what would it be?" (inspired by the Christianity Explained course). Last month the question was "If you are really there God why don't you prove it?" We have been inviting friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues, and local people to consider the Bible's answer to these questions.

The audio for "If you are really there God why don't you prove it?" is available here.

The talks lasts for twenty minutes and is followed by an open question time.

The next one up is "God, why do you allow so much suffering?" The audio for that will be available soon.

2 comments:

Christie M said...

My husband and I listened to your mp3 on this. It is fascinating that we can hear a church service on the other side of the world! Amazing.

I am looking forward to hear your talk on suffering. We have some interesting perspective on that subject as there has been much suffering in our children's past.
2 are from Ukraine and 1 from the U.S.
(we have 4 older ones too)

All I can think about is loving the book of Job. Learning to love the book of Job that is: and the very last part where he says, "I uttered what I did not understand things too wonderful for me which I did not know".

Without eternity, Without CHRIST, suffering doesn't make sense.
But God.... :)

Martin Downes said...

I'll post it as soon as I can. I stressed that without God suffering is truly meaningless. And even if we cannot always see the reason for suffering it doesn't mean that there isn't one. I quoted these remarkable words from Joni Eareckson Tada:

"But today as I look back, I am convinced that the whole ordeal of my paralysis was inspired by His love. I wasn't a rat in a maze. I wasn't the brunt of some cruel divine joke. God had reasons behind my suffering, and learning some of them has made all the difference in the world."