Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Always a delight when new books arrive

Slightly earlier than expected John Fesko's Justification: Understanding the Classic Reformed Doctrine arrived. I've spent a good bit of time in the last few years reading books on justification and this one looks grand. Here's what Mike Horton has to say about it:
"This book is destined to become a standard work for all those who want a deeper understanding of this crucial doctrine. In addition to providing sound exegesis of relevant passages, Fesko is sensitive to important nuances in historical theology and contemporary discussions."
I have also gotten hold of Dennis Johnson's Him We Proclaim: Preaching Christ From All The Scriptures. So far this book has been very profitable reading, more on this in future posts.

And if that were not enough Ben Witherington's Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians volume 1 also arrived. That's to help my reflections on 2 Timothy which I will be preaching through on Sunday evenings.

I've also been helped in preparation by listening to Sinclair Ferguson on 2 Timothy. I listen to some preachers and think "I wish I could preach like that." I listen to Sinclair and think "I wish I could be a Christian like that, I wish I knew God like that man does." There is a big difference between the two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also desire to to be a chrsitian like Dr Ferguson - But I am not and I am ashamed to not be!
I am a lousy christian who allows too much of RM7 to be my excuse.
I feel that if pastors and elders would do what 1,2 Timothy directs, we would probably be better, that I would hope.
But sorry to say - I have never had a pastor or elder ever visit me or want to be involved in my life as a christian - who wants to be sure of who and what I am in Christ, doctrines, so on.
I have gone to 2 reformed churches in 5 years now, not once have they visited me and the wife or ever lived up to what they say they will do when new elders are voted in.
This just baffles me to no end.
Why bother to have elders if they are not going to do what they are (called??) to do, etc.
And I wonder why so many folk are are so lost and insecure in their christian lives. It is a sad day indeed.
You're on your own I guess!