Saturday, January 29, 2011
My God has a good and gracious purpose in all the pain and sorrow that I experience in this life.
1. He is teaching me to put less and less confidence in myself, in what flesh and blood and human wisdom can do
2. He is teaching me that here there is no continuing city and that I should seek the one that is to come whose Builder and Maker is God.
3. He is teaching me to live with a much longer term vision than I often do, a longer term vision that is frequently suffocated by my sinful desires and the pressing in of the technological and rebellious world on my internal life
4. He is teaching me that man should never live by listening to the evil whisperings of Satan, and that only the promises of the Word can drown out his lies
5. He is teaching me that all things come not by chance but by his Fatherly hand
6. He is teaching me that I have much to repent of
7. He is teaching me that without Jesus Christ I can do nothing
8. He is teaching me that he is gracious and compassionate, and that those being renewed in his image bear his likeness and imitate his ways
9. He is teaching me that in his great compassion he knows my frame and remembers that I am dust
10. He is teaching me that all that I have is really his and not mine, that he gives and he takes away, and that therefore I should bow my head before his sovereign greatness and worship him
11. He is teaching me that the faithful prayers of his people are his ordained means of lifting up my soul when I am downcast
12. He is teaching me that his grace is sufficient for me and that his power really is made perfect in weakness, even though I don't want to feel weak
And all these things he has been teaching me not while I have been sat at a desk, or in a lecture theatre, but while I have been watching the slow turning of the hands of a clock, when I have been staring into the dark in the early hours, and when I have been wrestling with my fears sat quietly by the side of a hospital bed.
Have I learned all these lessons?
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Nine days ago Kezia had a brain tumour removed. Today she is at home for the day. The photo was taken an hour ago. We hope that on Monday or Tuesday he will be discharged from Alder Hey. To those of you who read this blog and have prayed for her she says "thank you." The Lord is gracious and compassionate.